Here is a list of things, in no particular order and without much explanation, that I think could make, for various reasons, the world a better place.
Please note that, as I seem to be a human being, I'm prone to errors and I sometimes change my mind about various issues. So, while I probably won't change this post in the future, it should not be taken as a list of what I believe in in any particular moment in my life. People change, ideas change, the world changes (hopefully, for the better).
So, without further ado, here is my pointless list of things I believe could make the world a better place.
- Research on renewable energy sources
- Not only because of environment, but also because oil is a nice cause for war
- We need research to make energy harvesting, use and storage more efficient
- Lessening of the wealth gap
- This will greatly reduce a vast amount of crimes that are dictated by poor life conditions
- Research on materials so that we don't have to mine the developing world for raw materials to build electronics and other stuff
- Free access to information
- No censorship
- Free access to higher education
- Devise a way to avoid wasting resources on students that don't put in the effort
- Mesh networks
- Fluidification/Abolition of hierarchies
- Automation of labor
- This must be immediately followed by a way to keep people able to provide for themselves once their labor is not needed anymore
- Driverless transportations
- And for that matter, a review about how and why we move around and use vehicles
- Technical means to avoid dragnet-styled surveillance
- Laws do not cut it, they can be changed and circumvented (and we know it for sure, post-Snowden)
- Abolition of induced scarcity for certain goods
Keep in mind that this list is by no means complete. Also, I may write some blog posts in the future to further expand on some points.